Thursday, November 30, 2006

Liberal Deathmatch, Day 2: The Kids are alright

The one member, one vote motion is currently being discussed, with specific reference to whether there should be special consideration for youth vote.

Here, without comment (or, for that matter, specific permission to post this. Sorry ;)), is a conversation Josh and I had this morning:


Josh: I'd like to hear about them in your blog: more minutae!
because we'll all hear so much about leadership anyways ...
an: Yeah. I'll be going to the one member one vote thing for sure.
Josh: do you think that the Liberals woud lose something if they did away with such conventions?
an: They would lose the media bump, maybe, but thats about it.
It would be a change of sorts, but not a bad one I think.
And there would still be a convention, it would just be smaller.
Josh: yeah, the Conservatives have a good model, I suppose.
as long as the youth continue to get 1/4 of the votes under OMOV
an: I actually don't know if I like that.
Josh: youth get 1/3 right now, eh?
an: yeah.
Josh: I think that youth have different positions on policy than older people do. Generally they're more liberal. And with the state of Canadian politics today, the alternative is a party controlled by geriatrics.
Sent at 12:25 PM on Thursday
an: Perhaps, but that's not the reason why I think that the youth currently have so much suport.
I think it has more to do with them being keen and willing to work really hard for tshirts.
Josh: absolutely.
and it's a culture within the Liberal party that is working to groom the next generation of Cabinet Ministers
because this is a party that knows it's going to be in power in 60 years, and wants to be ready
Update: There was just a challenge to the chair, and a subsequent challenge to that challenge. I love rules of order.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home